Skip to main content

Revisting: Never Ignore

Today, we are revisting a post from July 13, 2023. One thing we can count on is changing emotions. One day we deal with intense anger, the next extreme apathy. Our emotions may not be wise, but they are telling.


Never Ignore


I came cruising into my day refreshed and ready to go. Then, I experienced anger. Someone's misinformation inconvenienced my easy, breezy day. 



Anger is one of those emotions I find less becoming than others. I was trying to calm myself down when Holy Spirit reminded me that I was not designed to reconcile my emotions on my own. In the past, I have fallen prey to ignoring and stuffing my emotions, but nowadays, I am more likely to try and reconcile my emotions on my own. Perhaps when I have "figured out" what needs to change, I then might go to God to request said changes.



Today, I managed to be reminded that God likes us to come to Him raw. In the heat of anger or depths of despair, He wants to be invited into what we are feeling, thinking, and experiencing. This takes awareness and practice!



His ways are higher than ours, and His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. When we go to Him immediately, the rewards are great.



But today, I realized the welcoming of raw unfiltered emotions that haven't been processed through logic, compromise, or even faith is one of the great distinguishing qualities of our relationship with our Creator. 



We are wise to process our emotions with God before a confrontation with others, even our closest companions. God, however, can handle us in our most authentic state. 



What a gift! We are fully known and fully loved. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protection and Nourishment

Some blame Eve for the fall while others say it was really Adam who caused sin to enter the world. The easy answer is both are to blame. God created a wonderful system of protection and nourishment and the first male and female violated His system.  Proverbs 31 says a husband trusts the worthy woman. Eve was not operating from trustworthiness when she presented Adam with the forbidden fruit. The Proverbs goes on to describe how the worthy woman feeds her family and the needy.  God created, through the woman, a sublime system of nourishment. In marital intimacy the woman "allows in" as she does when providing food for her loved ones. It was this God given purpose that the snake attacked by tempting Eve to accept what was forbidden for nourishment.   Similarly, Adam was called to protect or be a shield.  A shield "keeps from coming in" what brings destruction. The other branch of the system of nourishment and protection was broken when Adam did not serve as a shield t

Before Glory

This is the year of the open door, Psalm 24, and Psalm 84. The purpose of the open gate in Psalm 24 is to let the King of Glory enter. I want to learn about this open gate and God's glory, but God has been highlighting something else. Before Solomon’s temple, the ark was separated from the tabernacle and altar (1 Samuel 4). The main focus was on the return of the ark, but let's take a look at biblical altars. The first altar mentioned in the Bible is the one Noah built after the flood (Genesis 8). Immediately after Noah sacrificed on the altar, God made a covenant with mankind and the animals. God pledged to never again destroy the earth with a flood and as a sign of this promise we were given the rainbow.  The next notable altars are Abram’s. First he built an altar when God appeared to him and promised the land of Cannon (Genesis 12). Abram built another altar when he and Lot separated, and God reaffirmed this promise. When Abram asked God how he would know he would take poss

TikTok and Laundry

     Crystal clear turquoise waves splashed against the sale boat in my Greek Isles like scenery. The air was fresh and salty, warm and breezy.  The summery sun was pleasant without being oppressive. Contented by my surroundings, I noticed a grandfather-like figure to my left as a younger man descended down the steps from a higher level of the sailboat.  The younger man was the father of the baby that I suddenly noticed on deck. The father tended to the baby and invited me to adore his infant, before returning upstairs.      I was absorbed by the environment but also interested in the baby whom I tried to share some honey with, but it did not go well. The stickiness of the baby's face could not divert from paradise. Just then the father returned but the baby was gone! The old man frantically began to search the waters around the boat, he was clearly in despair of a happy ending.  He looked upon me with grave disappointment.  Somehow distracted by all of the beauty, I failed to keep