Skip to main content

Revisting: If I Were a Bird & The Season of the Ox

Today I'm revisting two posts from June of this year. My regular devotional reading has me back in Ezekiel and back to the four living creatures. With the Hebrew calendar ending in September, today was the first day I asked the Lord for my word for this upcoming Hebrew year. All things considered, I felt it necessary to revist these posts. Now, I know of at least one dream that was not from the Lord. I'm not sure I am done learning about the ox, but I've learned a little. 


If I were a Bird


Recently I had three separate people, in three distinct settings begin a thought with, "If I were a bird." 



Bizarre, right? At the first comment, I began to joyfully hear Nelly Furtado's "I'm Like a Bird" song in my head. By the third comment, in a matter of just forty-eight hours, I was curious. I could not recall ever hearing anyone share such a thought before, and then to have a few in a short matter of time had me wondering. Seemed either an odd coincidence or God was getting my attention. 

 

 

Just as I was pondering my options a new worship song came across my feed, "If I Were a Bird" by Mission House. Turns out the song is at least two years old but it was new to me. Right then and there, I opted for the “God was speaking” to me option. 

 

 

I have a dear friend who, not long ago, received a prophetic word that she is like an indigo bunting. The name itself seems fitting for my beautiful confidant, but the unique details of the fowl reveal the uncanny similarities to my pal! Driving down the road while listening to the worship song, I was reminded of her story when suddenly, I heard, "She understands me as an eagle, I want you to understand me as ox."

 

 

This word from the Lord blew me away. I was familiar with the scriptures in Ezekiel and Revelation that refer to the heavenly visions of the lion, ox, man, and eagle, but these marked sections of the Bible were not my area of expertise. What does understanding God as an ox even mean?

 

 

The first chapter of Ezekiel is interesting to say the least. Ezekiel's eyes are opened to an intense spiritual scene while he is in exile. What Ezekiel described is like a human with ox feet, wings, and four faces. The face of a man was in the front, the lion faced the right side, the ox faced the left side, and the eagle faced the back. Weird, huh?

 

 

Verse 12 struck me, "And each went straight forward; wherever the spirit was about to go, they would go, without turning as they went." (AMP) 

 

 

There was lots going on in the vision but I was interested in the fact that the living creatures followed the Spirit of God. The scripture went on to describe huge wheels that move with the beings. The spectacle is surprising and spectral. In the midst of the awesome and awful experience, Ezekiel is commissioned to go to the people of Israel.

 

 

John's vision recorded in the book of Revelation closely matches Ezekiel's vision. Worship is what distinguished John's encounter. We are told that the creatures never stop saying, "Holy, Holy, Holy [is the] Lord God, The Almighty [the Omnipotent, the Ruler of all], who was and who is and who is to come [the unchanging eternal God]." (AMP)

 

 

At the praises of the four creatures, the twenty-four elders fall down and throw their crowns at the feet of God, in worship.

 

 

Consider reading for yourself the two similar accounts of men who come into contact with the spirit realm. I am guessing you will have questions of your own after reading them. 



Proverbs 25:2 tells us, “It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, but the glory of kings is to search out the matter.” (AMP) This "king" shall continue to search for the meaning of God's words to me. I will share what else I discover next week.



Until then. . .


The Season of the Ox



Last week we were given thick imagery in both Ezekiel and Revelation of what is going on in heaven in regard to the four living creatures. If you are like me, you have questions.



Most scholars believe the four creatures represent the four gospels.



The man is believed to represent the Gospel of Matthew because the book begins with Jesus' genealogy as a human. 



Mark can be symbolized by the lion. The book of Mark starts off not with Jesus but His forerunner, John the Baptist who was like a roaring lion.  The seed that grows by itself (Mark 2:26-29) is only mentioned in the Gospel of Mark.  This idea peers back to the garden where vegetation grew without toil and man had dominion. The "king of the jungle" easily encapsulates ideas of dominance. 



Luke is the only gospel that details Jesus' birth and infancy. Labor is painful and the mother sacrifices herself for new life. The Gospel of Luke is depicted by an ox because of all the gospels, Luke focuses the most on the sacrificial character of Jesus and oxen were used in the Temple sacrifices. 



The Gospel of John is portrayed by the eagle. John emphasized Jesus as lovingly caring for Israel and His people. Exodus 19 described God as delivering the Israelites out of Egypt as on eagle's wings. Eagles are an expression of the prophetic because of the eagle's higher perspective. 



Some theologians believe that the four creatures symbolize God's divine timeline. First was the time of priests and sacrifices (ox), secondly was the time of kings (lion), then the time of prophets (eagle), and finally the Messiah (man). 



When I think of an ox, I think of carrying a heavy load. Matthew teaches us that the Lord has rest for the weary. In this passage Jesus is inviting all to come to Him and take His yoke and learn from Him.



At the beginning of the year, I was given the word “render.” You might be surprised that render has six meanings. While I was looking up the definition my bathroom plaster was being replaced and one of the meanings is “cover stone or brick with a coat of plaster.” The definition served as an ironclad confirmation. At the time, the definition which felt the most significant was “melt down.”



Now, almost six months later, the Lord reveals Himself as an ox. The sacrificial, burned on the alter, burden carrying ox.



Have you ever been rendered by the Lord? I have gone through a stripping season before but it dealt with sin and the things of the world. This time the removal is of the dreams God has given me over the years.



Why would God call me or anyone to die to dreams that He Himself birthed?



There are a few reasons. For one, I may have gotten a dream from God but started “making it happen” out of my own strength instead of relying on God’s Spirit. I may have also taken up a dream that I was never meant to hold onto which could be hindering God’s actual plans.



It may just be that God is jealous and I have made my God-dreams into idols before Him. Another option is that He just wants me to be like the twenty-four elders and throw my crowns at His feet. It could be a little of all those possibilities or fully all of them. 



I was surprised to learn that oxen are often castrated to remove their aggression which makes them more submissive for labor. If that doesn't preach, I don't know what does. 



While I may not have to figure it all out, I believe that I do need to surrender my dreams to God on a new level. The ox symbolizes ultimate surrender and dying to the flesh for God. 



How would you describe the season of life you are currently in? Do you connect with God to processes the ever changes stages of life? Are you learning the lessons God has for you at this time in your life?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Protection and Nourishment

Some blame Eve for the fall while others say it was really Adam who caused sin to enter the world. The easy answer is both are to blame. God created a wonderful system of protection and nourishment and the first male and female violated His system.  Proverbs 31 says a husband trusts the worthy woman. Eve was not operating from trustworthiness when she presented Adam with the forbidden fruit. The Proverbs goes on to describe how the worthy woman feeds her family and the needy.  God created, through the woman, a sublime system of nourishment. In marital intimacy the woman "allows in" as she does when providing food for her loved ones. It was this God given purpose that the snake attacked by tempting Eve to accept what was forbidden for nourishment.   Similarly, Adam was called to protect or be a shield.  A shield "keeps from coming in" what brings destruction. The other branch of the system of nourishment and protection was broken when Adam did not serve as a shield t

Before Glory

This is the year of the open door, Psalm 24, and Psalm 84. The purpose of the open gate in Psalm 24 is to let the King of Glory enter. I want to learn about this open gate and God's glory, but God has been highlighting something else. Before Solomon’s temple, the ark was separated from the tabernacle and altar (1 Samuel 4). The main focus was on the return of the ark, but let's take a look at biblical altars. The first altar mentioned in the Bible is the one Noah built after the flood (Genesis 8). Immediately after Noah sacrificed on the altar, God made a covenant with mankind and the animals. God pledged to never again destroy the earth with a flood and as a sign of this promise we were given the rainbow.  The next notable altars are Abram’s. First he built an altar when God appeared to him and promised the land of Cannon (Genesis 12). Abram built another altar when he and Lot separated, and God reaffirmed this promise. When Abram asked God how he would know he would take poss

TikTok and Laundry

     Crystal clear turquoise waves splashed against the sale boat in my Greek Isles like scenery. The air was fresh and salty, warm and breezy.  The summery sun was pleasant without being oppressive. Contented by my surroundings, I noticed a grandfather-like figure to my left as a younger man descended down the steps from a higher level of the sailboat.  The younger man was the father of the baby that I suddenly noticed on deck. The father tended to the baby and invited me to adore his infant, before returning upstairs.      I was absorbed by the environment but also interested in the baby whom I tried to share some honey with, but it did not go well. The stickiness of the baby's face could not divert from paradise. Just then the father returned but the baby was gone! The old man frantically began to search the waters around the boat, he was clearly in despair of a happy ending.  He looked upon me with grave disappointment.  Somehow distracted by all of the beauty, I failed to keep