Skip to main content

Recompense of Restraint

     A theme of correction, this year, is to bridle my tongue. I can be opinionated, loud, and just plain talkative. Sometimes I wonder if I overwhelm some of my reserved or introverted friends. My aim is never to dominate but rather to freely be myself. Living freely without judging myself has taken some time and effort to cultivate, so the subject of being "slow to speak" has not been at the forefront until now.

    Since being highlighted I have had some successes and I have had some setbacks. It all started with a word from God to, "Be of no opinion until you have heard from Me." Of course, He did not mean to suggest that I or anyone else should need direction on purchasing an apple verses an orange at the grocery store but mainly in regard to the matters of true importance and of the heart.

    After a while, I started to notice an atmosphere of humility. Years ago, I was often credited for a level of humility when I kept to myself and spoke very little.  It was not a matter of humility but distain. Now, from a place of accepting myself, I can choose to pursue a posture of legitimate humility. As we often hear, "Humility is not about thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less." In my case it is more about needing to share less and being more concerned with what others must impart.

    The gift of attuned listening is not only allowing me to hear others more clearly but also the Lord! I have received three clearer than usual promptings from My Father that proved correct quickly. All in all, I would sum up this lesson to creating a more sensitive connection with those around me and The God Who Hears.         

    Are there any areas in your life that could use some restraint? What gifts might emerge from your obedience? Would you rate your connections as sensitive?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisting: If I Were a Bird & The Season of the Ox

Today I'm revisting two posts from June of this year. My regular devotional reading has me back in Ezekiel and back to the four living creatures. With the Hebrew calendar ending in September, today was the first day I asked the Lord for my word for this upcoming Hebrew year. All things considered, I felt it necessary to revist these posts. Now, I know of at least one dream that was not from the Lord. I'm not sure I am done learning about the ox, but I've learned a little.  If I were a Bird Recently I had three separate people, in three distinct settings begin a thought with, "If I were a bird."  Bizarre, right? At the first comment, I began to joyfully hear Nelly Furtado's "I'm Like a Bird" song in my head. By the third comment, in a matter of just forty-eight hours, I was curious. I could not recall ever hearing anyone share such a thought before, and then to have a few in a short matter of time had me wondering. Seemed either an odd coincidence...

Revisting: Wisdom & Authority

Today we are revisting a post from August 18th, 2023. How important it is for each of us to rightly balance wisdom and authority in our own lives. That balance becomes more crucially necessary in marriage. Wisdom & Authority  My husband and I had our routine check-ups this week. He is an emergency room nurse and promptly schedules all of our appointments. For two decades of my adult life, I took care of these matters myself. His planning is a welcome change in married life. He is also handy and takes immaculate care of our yard. Really I won the husband lottery because he also cooks, cleans, and is good at basically everything.   Not that he does everything. We share a fairly even distribution of responsibilities in running our household and raising our daughter. I may not be handy, but I was a responsible homeowner before we met. As someone who left home at 17 and married at 37, I learned how to take care of things on my own, but life is better together. Both my husb...

Resisting: Wisdom & Worth

This week's revisited archived post is from May 26, 2023.  Yesterday I finished the short series Howard's End . The main character, Margaret Schlegel, gives a beautiful explanation of worth in regard to her marriage choice. Margaret's wise words to her sister, "I do not intend to correct him, or reform him. Only connect. That is the whole of my sermon. I have not undertaken to fashion a husband to suit myself using Henry's soul as raw materials." Wisdom & Worth Wedding season is peaking! What better book to read than the Song of Solomon in a month full of marriage? The book of poems is rather sensual for biblical times and reflects God's intense desire for us, His bride; but there is more... Interestingly, the Song of Solomon is considered one of the five books of wisdom and, more specifically, one of the three books of Solomon's wisdom.   In chapter two the bride says, "My lover has arrived and he's speaking to me!" (MSG) What is He ...