Skip to main content

Finding Your People

A lot of memes on social media talk about who is not part of your tribe. You were rejected, mistreated, undervalued, or your pain and accomplishments were minimized. Well don't stress, those aren't your people.  However little conversation emerges about how to find your place among your peers.


Building community is tough for all people because human flaws get in the way. For the individual suffering from attachment issues, community is doubly challenging. 


Yes, healthy boundaries need to be set. You can love and forgive from afar without engaging in relationships with those who are unsafe. Yet one must discern wisely. For those with avoidant attachment style any minor infraction may spark a harsh disillusionment.  Just as one with an anxious attachment style may be too forgiving and subject themselves to unnecessary harm. 


The key is prayer and awareness. Before I was significantly healed I prayed for the right friends. I was trying but not there yet, and God answered my prayer. Not only was a void filled but the very friendships God provided helped tip the scales of my healing.  There lies the paradox. Dealing with attachment issues makes it difficult to have healthy relationships yet healthy relationships carry healing for attachment issues. The need for Divine intervention is great.


Pray for healthy relationships. God will not withhold His goodness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisting: If I Were a Bird & The Season of the Ox

Today I'm revisting two posts from June of this year. My regular devotional reading has me back in Ezekiel and back to the four living creatures. With the Hebrew calendar ending in September, today was the first day I asked the Lord for my word for this upcoming Hebrew year. All things considered, I felt it necessary to revist these posts. Now, I know of at least one dream that was not from the Lord. I'm not sure I am done learning about the ox, but I've learned a little.  If I were a Bird Recently I had three separate people, in three distinct settings begin a thought with, "If I were a bird."  Bizarre, right? At the first comment, I began to joyfully hear Nelly Furtado's "I'm Like a Bird" song in my head. By the third comment, in a matter of just forty-eight hours, I was curious. I could not recall ever hearing anyone share such a thought before, and then to have a few in a short matter of time had me wondering. Seemed either an odd coincidence...

Revisting: Wisdom & Authority

Today we are revisting a post from August 18th, 2023. How important it is for each of us to rightly balance wisdom and authority in our own lives. That balance becomes more crucially necessary in marriage. Wisdom & Authority  My husband and I had our routine check-ups this week. He is an emergency room nurse and promptly schedules all of our appointments. For two decades of my adult life, I took care of these matters myself. His planning is a welcome change in married life. He is also handy and takes immaculate care of our yard. Really I won the husband lottery because he also cooks, cleans, and is good at basically everything.   Not that he does everything. We share a fairly even distribution of responsibilities in running our household and raising our daughter. I may not be handy, but I was a responsible homeowner before we met. As someone who left home at 17 and married at 37, I learned how to take care of things on my own, but life is better together. Both my husb...

Resisting: Wisdom & Worth

This week's revisited archived post is from May 26, 2023.  Yesterday I finished the short series Howard's End . The main character, Margaret Schlegel, gives a beautiful explanation of worth in regard to her marriage choice. Margaret's wise words to her sister, "I do not intend to correct him, or reform him. Only connect. That is the whole of my sermon. I have not undertaken to fashion a husband to suit myself using Henry's soul as raw materials." Wisdom & Worth Wedding season is peaking! What better book to read than the Song of Solomon in a month full of marriage? The book of poems is rather sensual for biblical times and reflects God's intense desire for us, His bride; but there is more... Interestingly, the Song of Solomon is considered one of the five books of wisdom and, more specifically, one of the three books of Solomon's wisdom.   In chapter two the bride says, "My lover has arrived and he's speaking to me!" (MSG) What is He ...