Skip to main content

Sanctify Yourselves

Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for tomorrow the Lord will do wonders among you (KJV). 


The word "sanctify" has several meanings. Objects can be sanctified but to sanctify a person is to make him or her holy. Sanctification is a state of being separated unto God. 1 Corinthians 1:30 references the sanctification that occurs when one is born again. In this sense sanctification is more about the work of God in our lives.


The second definition of the word is probably most fitting for what Joshua directed. This sanctification is the result of our obedience to the word of God and is to be actively pursued by believers.


I feel a strong pull to enter into a season of sanctification, and believe this season will bring forth some long awaited promises.  In particular, I feel an urgency to cleanse myself of fears; more specifically, fears that may be disguised. 


Some fears masquerade as something more like anger or resistance.  These fears take the work of Holy Spirit to uncover. 


Maybe it's a fear of correction because you have felt judged. Or a fear of religion because someone in the church tried to control you. Perhaps it's a fear of the bible because you don't understand it. 


The Lord gently revealed I was afraid of prophetic mishandling. I have experienced and witnessed prophetic discipline without hope, grace, or love. 


Once a prophetic friend shared with me that she was stepping away to be purified because she was drawing from bitter waters. She was mature enough to know that her prophetic anointing was in danger of doing more harm than good. Not everyone is this self-aware.


What's more is that sometimes abusive language is glorified. I've heard prophets proudly proclaim, "Go ahead and get your tissues out because this is going to hurt." Or make statements like, "I can't help what God gave me to say." 


I do understand that part of the role of the prophets is to comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comforted. But some only do the latter and with an air of haughtiness. 


Usually what is referenced in these environments is the severity of the prophets in the old testament.  I don't deny that the world was a violent place and prophets had to use equally severe tactics. 


Perhaps a post on social media can help: rejection comes from correction without affection, 

misdirection comes from affection without correction, 

and protection comes from correction with affection. 


As much as it pains me to say it, I have seen the prophetic leave more people in a state of rejection rather than protection. 


The big difference between gentle correction and harsh correction lies in whether or not the Lord is your Shepard. To those in outright rebellion, correction is always going to feel brutal.


God wants to heal hidden fears so the walls of self-protection can be replaced with His protection.  The Good Father's protection, correction, and affection is balanced and loving.


As we focus on sanctification let us take comfort in the last meaning of sanctification. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 speaks of a complete sanctification that is glorification. 


He is our hope of glory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Revisting: If I Were a Bird & The Season of the Ox

Today I'm revisting two posts from June of this year. My regular devotional reading has me back in Ezekiel and back to the four living creatures. With the Hebrew calendar ending in September, today was the first day I asked the Lord for my word for this upcoming Hebrew year. All things considered, I felt it necessary to revist these posts. Now, I know of at least one dream that was not from the Lord. I'm not sure I am done learning about the ox, but I've learned a little.  If I were a Bird Recently I had three separate people, in three distinct settings begin a thought with, "If I were a bird."  Bizarre, right? At the first comment, I began to joyfully hear Nelly Furtado's "I'm Like a Bird" song in my head. By the third comment, in a matter of just forty-eight hours, I was curious. I could not recall ever hearing anyone share such a thought before, and then to have a few in a short matter of time had me wondering. Seemed either an odd coincidence...

Revisting: Wisdom & Authority

Today we are revisting a post from August 18th, 2023. How important it is for each of us to rightly balance wisdom and authority in our own lives. That balance becomes more crucially necessary in marriage. Wisdom & Authority  My husband and I had our routine check-ups this week. He is an emergency room nurse and promptly schedules all of our appointments. For two decades of my adult life, I took care of these matters myself. His planning is a welcome change in married life. He is also handy and takes immaculate care of our yard. Really I won the husband lottery because he also cooks, cleans, and is good at basically everything.   Not that he does everything. We share a fairly even distribution of responsibilities in running our household and raising our daughter. I may not be handy, but I was a responsible homeowner before we met. As someone who left home at 17 and married at 37, I learned how to take care of things on my own, but life is better together. Both my husb...

Resisting: Wisdom & Worth

This week's revisited archived post is from May 26, 2023.  Yesterday I finished the short series Howard's End . The main character, Margaret Schlegel, gives a beautiful explanation of worth in regard to her marriage choice. Margaret's wise words to her sister, "I do not intend to correct him, or reform him. Only connect. That is the whole of my sermon. I have not undertaken to fashion a husband to suit myself using Henry's soul as raw materials." Wisdom & Worth Wedding season is peaking! What better book to read than the Song of Solomon in a month full of marriage? The book of poems is rather sensual for biblical times and reflects God's intense desire for us, His bride; but there is more... Interestingly, the Song of Solomon is considered one of the five books of wisdom and, more specifically, one of the three books of Solomon's wisdom.   In chapter two the bride says, "My lover has arrived and he's speaking to me!" (MSG) What is He ...